Being organised has been my thing for a long time. I love it. I feel happier when things are done with plenty of time to spare and when everything has a home to go to. But I also fall off that organised wagon from time to time and it often gets worse as the year goes on. Does this happen to anyone else?
So, here and now, I’m setting myself a challenge of becoming the super organised, happy person that I’ve always wanted to be. I’m totally telling you this so that I can’t weasel out of it later, like I do most years.
I’m going to get organised once and for all! I’m going to be that person who has the birthday gifts ready before time, to get the linen cupboard sorted and to start to really dream big about my future (and organise that too) and I want to bring you along for the ride.
I’ve really been thinking about it and I’ve realised that one of the major keys to a happy home, where laughter reigns, is being organised. If there’s no need to rush and no need to get cranky or frustrated that things aren’t done or don’t have a home, then I relax. I find the funny in the things that should be hilarious and not incredibly annoying.
It’s not about taking the spontinaity out of life, but having the tools (and the kit boxes) available for when the lightbulb goes off and I want to start a new project or invite the nieces and nephews around for a crafting or baking day. This is the year that I’m going to get on top of this! There’s a little less than 6 months left of the year, and I’m doing a fist pump and saying “I can do this”. I may be a little crazy, shhh!
So here’s a list of what I want to achieve by the end of the year (I reserve the right to change this as the lightbulbs ping over the course of the year):
- I want to make kit boxes that will be stocked with related goodies that are ready when I need them. I won’t go on a buying binge, but organise what I already have and slowly add what I need as that time arises.
- I want to be ready for birthdays and Christmas well in advance so that there is no stress (where I can avoid it). I will make lists (and printables to share with you)
- I want to organise my wardrobe and think about what I’d actually like to wear and what makes me feel good, not just what I had to buy because everything else has holes in it I don’t love shopping for me, and I’d like to try to be kinder to myself in the process
- I want to get my office/studio space to a point where it’s a happy place to be and not just a place that reminds me that I get messy when I get creative I want to think about ways to add clearing up at the end into each task too. I’m so bad at that! Oops!
- I want to teach you what I already know about tiny organisation tricks I didn’t realise that not everyone also does something that I’m only just learning now
- I want to work on finding a style that works for me and my home and makes me feel happy and not cluttered when I’m there
- I want to be open to new ideas on how to make a home a happy one and try the ones I think might be right for me
- I want to try more mini makeovers as they come into my head, even the ones that seem too simple to share
- I want to share what I learn and what I know with you to help you have the happy home you’re looking to create No secret squirrels, promise
- I want to keep it lighthearted and fun. It’s just not worth it if it makes things more stressful, I want to create a space to laugh more, not less
I want my home to be somewhere that I’m happy to invite people over to, and not one that I panic clean (only me?!) when people tell me they’re going to drop by. I’m on a quest to remove the stress where I can, and inject a healthy amount of organisation and fun and even some bold leaps in there too! I want to leave the guilt of not doing what I’d planned behind and be able to adapt (and remember to laugh) when things don’t quite go to plan.
I’m looking forward to sharing these ideas with you, and maybe we can help each other along the way. I’ll never tell you that it’s the only way to do it, just that it’s the way that works for me. If you do it differently, I’d love to hear your way too.
Are you ready for this? I think we can do it! Fist Bumps all round!
See you here on Thursday for the next mini makeover! and something super exciting I can’t wait to share!