Winter makes me want to hibernate. It’s cold and rainy and the windchill makes me wonder whether the weather man is lying to me about that 12°C it supposedly is! We don’t get snow here, but the rain and the cloudy weather seems to make up for it. If you’re a bit of a winter hibernator too, or you know someone who is, today I’m sharing a fun winter treat box you can make to help you through the colder months ahead!
What you’ll need:
- Your favourite Chocolates (or other storable treat) I love Freddo Frogs, especially the strawberry ones, but any Freddo will do!
- A Cute Mug (the larger the better) This was a gift from my cousin one Christmas and it came full of American candy. It’s great as it closes like a travel mug and keeps your hot liquids warm!
- A Decadent Hot Chocolate Mix (or Coffee or Milo) This is from San Churro, but you could get yours from your favourite place
- Popping Corn (or ready made popcorn in a bag) I love to pop mine in my pop corn machine but you can buy some delicious popcorn that’s already in a bag if that’s quicker and easier for you
- Cute Popcorn Bags These just make the popcorn just that little bit more fun to eat! I got 20 for $2 from an overstock party store
- Optional: A favourite DVD or Playing Cards To give you something to do whilst you’re enjoying your treats
- Optional: A Box to put them in If this is a gift you could also add some ribbon and a bow to really make it feel like a fun gift!
This is really super simple. Round everything that you need for your winter treat box up together and add it to the box and pop the lid on it. If you’re keeping it for another day, find a place in the pantry or cupboard that you can keep it safely and where you won’t be too tempted to steal all the treats from it! These are great for rainy days or nights where you’re feeling a bit blue and want a quick pick-me-up.
If you’re making it as a gift you could add some tissue paper to the bottom of the box and even add a sweet card. What I love about this is that you don’t really need a reason to give this gift other than that it’s cold outside. That can make for a lovely ‘just because’ gift. If you wanted to get creative you could make the box and contents big enough for a family gift or even a housewarming gift too!
The winter school holidays are here in most parts of Australia too, and this could be a fun way to treat your little ones to a quiet afternoon on the couch with their own treat boxes. They could each get their own mug (or sippy cup) and popcorn bag to eat with a movie from your childhood that you introduce them to!
Thoughts on the project:
What I think I love most about this idea, is making it up and forgetting about it for a while and then finding it right when you need it! Wouldn’t it be awesome to have that just waiting for you after a long cold day where you just need some couch time and a hilariously bad 90s teen flick to cheer you up?! There’s nothing like treating yourself!
What would you add to yours? What’s your favourite classic movie to watch when you need a pick-me-up?