No matter how organised I try to be, the closer it gets to Christmas time, the more chances there are that I will forget to organise a gift for someone and I feel really stressed about it. There are also those times where events that need gifts (like a last minute secret santa, or a fundraiser that everyone needs to contribute to) pop up unexpectedly and I am rushing around to get something in the price range. In attempt to stop that stressed feeling, this year I’ve started a ‘last minute gifts kit’ that I can select from should I need gift for someone. Here’s how you can make one too!
Things to include:
- Cute Nail Polishes or beauty gifts that keep well. These sometimes come in little gift packs and can be great for those times when you need a gift for someone who loves to pamper themselves (and teen girls). Sometimes you can get really good sales on these gift packs and nail polishes that mean that you can give a little more than you might have been able to afford otherwise.
- Scented Candles. Candles can be a great gift that can be picked up at any time and they often keep well. As someone who is personally sensitive to scents, I am careful who I gift these to (and where I store them). They make a very thoughtful gift for those who love candles.
- Baby Gifts. If you’ve got babies in your family or friendship group (or there are some on the way), it can be a great idea to collect some baby things that can be easily popped into a gift bag with some tissue paper and given as required. There are also some great baby sales on throughout the year so you can get some bargains.
- Kids Toys. Things go in and out of fashion with kids toys, but some toys never really go out of fashion. Gender nonspecific toys are great for the gifts kit too. Think also about what age groups they might suit too (and whilst on the pricey side, board games are often a great choice too).
- Something for the home. Sweet gifts like salt and pepper shakers or fun baking equipment make great gifts that can be stored too! Add a bow and some tissue paper and you’re ready to go!
- Sweet Treats. Lollies (candy) isn’t for everyday but it does make a really fun gift. You could get a jar and add some individually wrapped mixed sweets and you’ve got a personalised lolly jar ready in just a few minutes!
- Fancy Drinks. I packet of hot chocloate or some really great tea make great gifts, though you need to check how they are sealed and watch those expiry dates. Great for when you know you’ve got something coming up in the next month or so!
- Notepad & Pencils. These make great last minute gifts for kids of all ages and creative adults too! They keep well and are easy to wrap.
The beauty of a last minute gifts kit is that you can also have people in mind when you are buying. Just because you’re buying early doesn’t have to make it thoughtless, but rather you’re buying when you see the perfect gift at the right price and are keeping it until the time is right! You could add a little post-it note to it to remind you who it is for and even pop a reminder in your calendar to go look for it when the time comes for their birthday or before Christmas.
Keeping it all in the one place will help combat that feeling that you know you bought something but can’t work out where it is and is great when a family member comes home and says that they need a present for a fundraising evening/secret santa/ a classmates birthday for the next day! You can also keep your greeting card & writing paper organiser with them so you can grab a card where you need to as well!
I love how with a little organisation early on we can have those last minute moments of panic and are able to take a quick breath and come up with a great gift without having to leave the house. To feel extra organised also make sure your gift wrapping kit is stocked up too!
Do you keep a last minute gifts kit? What would you add to yours?
Note: Some of the gifts shown are for examples and are gifts I have received. I loved them and would gift similar gifts to others. If you gave them to me, I’m not regifting, just showing an excellent example of a good gift. ;) x