When a friend or a loved one moves into a new place, especially that first home that’s really their own, it can be the perfect opportunity to give them a gift that they’ll not only remember, but one that they can use too. Today I wanted to share some fun ideas for housewarming gifts that they’ll love.
What to get them:
- A Fancy Salad Bowl these can be a lovely gift, especially if you know their style and it’s in your budget. It might be something they wouldn’t buy for themselves
- A Good Quality Cutlery Set especially for someone moving out on their own, this can be a great gift that’s one up from the hand-me-downs that they might have for themselves
- A Storage Container Starter Kit sometimes it’s nice to have new things when you’ve got a new place, even if it’s not your first one and these are an inexpensive gift that will go to good use
- Breakfast Bowl and Mug even if you only buy them one (rather than a set) this can be a great gift that they can use over and over. If you know what patterns or colours they like, it would work even better
- A Cookbook or Two pick a cookbook that you love or a classic that you know they don’t have. These can be such a great “enjoy your new place” gift
- A Crockery Set if you’ve got a little extra to spend or they are close family a crockery set is something that ever home can use. I like to go for the plain white as it’s so easy to get replacements if one gets damaged or a second set of what they already have can be great for families
- A Crystal Bowl it’s a family tradition that these are given for a special birthday like a 21st in my family, but they can also be a special gift that they can use for special occasions
- A Classic Novel for their Bookshelf you could write a special note in the cover about new beginnings so that when they open it many years later they can remember this move and their home when it was new to them
People move houses for lots of different reasons but it often feels like the beginning of a new journey. Something that deserves a little bit of celebration and a time (once all the crazy moving in is done) to look forward to the future and hopefully to some great adventures ahead. It can be particularly special if they are moving into their own place for the first time or just starting over in a new city/town/country.
I love that these gifts are all functional, and not just something that needs to be dusted. They are something that you can share with the person you’re gifting to. If you’re picking a classic book, it could be something that reminds you of them. Or you could buy them the breakfast bowl and mug and add a note reminding them to take care of themselves. (Because sometimes we all need that bossy friend who reminds us what we need to hear ;)) Or buy two pretty mugs and write “make me a cuppa some time”.
A cookbook or a collection of recipes that you’ve collated, that you know they’ll love, is also a sweet gift that shows you care. It doesn’t matter if you’re the friend that buys the cookware set or your the friend that buys the novelty salt and pepper shakers. It’s not about the cash that you put into the gift but the thought. Especially when the move is a big life shift, it can really say “I’ve got your back” or “I think this is going to be great for you”.
These could be things that you pick up in the sales and have ready for the moment or just something that you pop out especially to get. I’m sure there are many more things that would be amazing that I’ve missed. I bet an ikea gift card would make an awesome gift too!
Do you give housewarming gifts to special friends and family? What do you give? Is there something missing here that you would love to have been given? Come share in the comments!