Back in July last year, I set myself a challenge to get organised for once and for all! Since it’s now 6 months on and it’s one of my most popular posts, I thought we could revisit it and maybe add to the list or keep things on the list as a work in progress. Because somethings take longer to make habits of than others and I’m a terrible habit breaker ;)
First let’s go back over the list from last time:
So here’s a list of what I want to achieve by the end of the year  (I reserve the right to change this as the lightbulbs ping over the course of the year):
- I want to make kit boxes that will be stocked with related goodies that are ready when I need them. I won’t go on a buying binge, but organise what I already have and slowly add what I need as that time arises Achieved, but there are still more kits that I’d like to organise
- I want to be ready for birthdays and Christmas well in advance so that there is no stress (where I can avoid it). I will make lists (and printables to share with you) Christmas – Achieved, Birthdays – Needs work
- I want to organise my wardrobe and think about what I’d actually like to wear and what makes me feel good, not just what I had to buy because everything else has holes in it I don’t love shopping for me, and I’d like to try to be kinder to myself in the process Needs work – I bought a couple of things that I love, but two new dresses do not replace a whole wardrobe of clothes
- I want to get my office/studio space to a point where it’s a happy place to be and not just a place that reminds me that I get messy when I get creative I want to think about ways to add clearing up at the end into each task too. I’m so bad at that! Oops! A work in progress
- I want to teach you what I already know about tiny organisation tricks I didn’t realise that not everyone also does something that I’m only just learning now I think I’ve achieved this one, but it will be on going
- I want to work on finding a style that works for me and my home and makes me feel happy and not cluttered when I’m there A definite work in progress
- I want to be open to new ideas on how to make a home a happy one and try the ones I think might be right for me Achieved, but is also ongoing
- I want to try more mini makeovers as they come into my head, even the ones that seem too simple to share Achieved, but I’d like to continue with this
- I want to share what I learn and what I know with you to help you have the happy home you’re looking to create No secret squirrels, promise Achieved, but again, I’d like to continue with this
- I want to keep it lighthearted and fun. It’s just not worth it if it makes things more stressful, I want to create a space to laugh more, not less Achieved, though it will always be a work in progress to not be overly serious
I think I did well with what I achieved, but there’s so much more on organisation that I want to share with you! I didn’t do so well with the wardrobe and somehow my office and my desk are still a mess 90% of the time. Something I do need to remember is that some of these required funds that I just didn’t have available (particularly in the case of re-doing my wardrobe) so any cash intensive things might get dropped to the back burner whilst I’m slowly rebuilding my business into something that aligns better with my goals. It’s probably more likely that I’ll buy one or two things as I need them and eventually my wardrobe will look just as I’d like, rather than go on a big shopping spree (though I wouldn’t say no if I won one somehow ;) ).
I think it’s important I share this because we don’t always have the funds to make all the changes we want upfront and that’s ok. There’s nothing worse than wanting to hide that from the world because you think that it’s not that way for anyone else. I’m happy to save and wait for the right time for what I really want, and maybe that’s you too. Yay for being patient!
The 2014 List:
- More Kits to help me get organised and to help you get organised too!
- Be ready for Birthdays and Christmas in advance so there’s as little stress as possible Make more printables to help with this and update the Birthday printable for 2014
- Slowly create a wardrobe full of clothes that I love wearing – and have something for the different occasions not just for every day. And possibly attempt to curb my love of buying running gear ;)
- I want to get my office/studio space to a point where it’s a happy place to be and not just a place that reminds me that I get messy when I get creative I want to think about ways to add clearing up at the end into each task too. Back because it really needs more work. I’ll share solutions when I find them
- I want to teach you what I already know about tiny organisation tricks I didn’t realise that not everyone also does every now and then I stumble across something that we do that not everyone does, and I’ll continue to share the best ones with you as I find them
- I want to work on finding a style that works for me and my home and makes me feel happy and not cluttered when I’m there – I want to share this journey with you so I can help you find it in your own homes
- I want to be open to new ideas on how to make a home a happy one and try the ones I think might be right for me – and share some ideas on what might work best for you
- More mini makeovers! I love coming up with these and hopefully I’ll have many more to share in the coming months
- I want to share what I learn and what I know with you to help you have the happy home you’re looking to create No secret squirrels, promise – I hope this will always be part of this blog
- I want to keep it lighthearted and fun. It’s just not worth it if it makes things more stressful, I want to create a space to laugh more, not less – This is always worth focusing on. A happy home is one where laughter reigns, after all!
- To work out ways of turning organisation into habit I want to learn all about this and share it with you, because when it becomes a habit it gets easier to do
- Tackle more rooms of the house to make them more organised, but not all at once where it feels too overwhelming, just one thing at a time
Many of these are carried over but some are new. The year is still young and I’m sure that there’s just so much more that didn’t make the list and hopefully I’ll share those too. I’m trying to stay mindful that these are not chores that I really don’t want to do, but things that will add to the foundations of my happy home. If I realise that they don’t do that, then there will be the chance to look at them differently and ultimately decide if I want to continue with that organisational trick. The beauty is that we can always be trying things and taking on the ones that work for us and our homes. What works for you might be different than what works for me. There’s even a chance that we try the same thing and tweak it just to suit our own happy homes and it works out for the best.
I still believe that mess can be a wonderful thing. It’s just about finding the line between a happy mess and a stressful one and that’s going to be different for everyone. I’m, once again, looking forward to sharing these ideas with you, and maybe we can help each other along the way. I’ll never tell you that it’s the only way to do it, just that it’s the way that works for me. If you do it differently, I’d love to hear your way too.
I’m in, are you? Let’s make 2014 our most organised year yet!