This is the time of year when all the posts and articles come out about what you “must” do to make this year the “best one everrrr”. And whilst I’m all for lists and getting stuff done (I did spend my New Year’s Eve planning and working by choice), I think we also need something quite the opposite. So here’s my crazy idea: let go of all the stuff that you don’t really need to do and that you don’t want to do. Write yourself a permission slip and remove those expectations that you have placed on yourself (especially those that you tell yourself you have to do, but tell others that they don’t need – I’m not the only one who does that, am I?!)
Obviously, there’s some stuff you will still have to do, like getting dressed before going to business meetings and feeding yourself and your family, but the heavy stuff that you are doing but don’t want to, maybe it’s time to let that go? Here are some ideas to get you thinking.
Stuff you might want to let go of:
- Having a tidy house all the time
- Making a healthy, nutritious meal for every single meal, every day
- Saying yes to doing things for people when your plate is already full
- Never making mistakes
- Not asking for help because people think you’ve got your shit together
- Not making time for fun
- Feeling guilty for not being the perfect [insert as appropriate: friend/partner/parent/worker/entrepreneur/etc]
- Trying to fix things that aren’t yours to fix (this one might just be for me ;) )
- Not making time for yourself because life is too busy
- Making food that’s pretty enough to photograph (wonky cakes taste just as good as perfect looking cakes)
- Trying to give all priorities equal weight at the same time
- Not trusting your own judgement
This is by no means a definitive list, and you can add yours to your own permission list without telling anyone else what’s on it. This list above might also include things that you don’t want to let go of, and that’s cool too. Pick and choose or completely write your own. It’s all about thinking about what you don’t need to take with you into 2015 and making peace with that.
Sometimes we need to consciously give ourselves permission to let go of what we need to and sometimes we don’t totally realise what that is until we make space to think about it. It might not be as easy as writing it down, but it’s a start. I’m a big believer in thinking and acting with intention and the first step is to recognise what we want, and just as importantly, what we don’t want.
So here’s to getting a step closer to living the life that works best for you (and for me)!
Download the printable permission slip here.
What’s one thing you’d like to let go of this year?