I was listening to one of my favourite podcasts* the other day and Kathleen Shannon (one of the hosts) said to their guest that “doing fun things takes effort” and a lightbulb went off in my head. YES! It really does, but it’s also really worth it. Sometimes doing fun things in our homes takes much more effort than what we usually have on each day. But with a little bit of effort, we can add some fun back into our homes. Hurrah! So, here are just 7 ways you can add more fun to your home this week.
7 ways to add more fun:
- Build a pillow and blanket fort – It’s hard to be grumpy inside a comfy fort, make some easily portable snacks and set up camp in there with some books or card games or even a way to watch a movie
- Try making something crafty together and not worry about how it turns out – Sometimes the act of making it up as you go along and working as a team can add some fun. If you’re worried about arguments, why not each make something next to each other and just chat and make some memories together
- Wear Party Hats at Dinner – Wearing party hats whilst you’re having dinner is a silly way to increase the fun and laughter in your home. No special occasion needed.
- Have a games day – Playing games together is a great way to add a little extra fun. Activities like Lego or board games or even card games are great to try. There’s always Charades if you’re looking for a good laugh.
- Bake something together – This can be a really fun experience if you don’t mind your kitchen getting messy. You could bake something from scratch or get a packet mix to try together. Even making popcorn in a popcorn maker can be a good one (and not too messy!)
- Pyjama Day – There’s something about staying in your jammies that makes everything a bit slower and a bit more fun. It can really take the pressure to rush around just isn’t there when you’re in you aren’t dressed
- Have a picnic in your living room – Picnics are fun no matter the weather and with an indoor one you don’t have to worry about getting rained on! This is a fun way to mix things up and you could even have an easy meal like pizza to go with it
Not every one of these will work for you and your home, but they are a fun place to start. It’s important to sometimes consciously make the decision to be lighthearted and have fun even when there’s a lot stressing you out. Fun may take work sometimes, but the memories you make in the process are the kinds of things you can talk about in years to come. Often it’s not the grand gestures that we remember the most, but the little things that brightened our days.
What’s one way that you add fun to your home?
Note: The Embracing Imperfection series is a fortnightly blog post series, every second Thursday, where I talk about creating a great, happy home for you and for me. One where we not only talk about embracing imperfection, but where we make steps to do it. Read more about it here.
*The podcast episode is #14 with Hey, Sweet Pea if wanted to have a listen
P.S. Want some help making your home feel happier in a fun way? The A Happier Home E-Course is coming this May to help you do just that! Pop over here for a sneak peek at what’s included and sign up to the newsletter to get a sweet discount when registration opens on May 10!